Saturday, August 18, 2007

How

Now comes the hard part, but I'll try to make it concise. Just how are my reviews to be structured? I can vent my opinions over and over, but as the saying goes: like assholes we all have an opinion.

Who cares what my opinion is? What worth is it?

Good questions, and very apropo. Instead of just spewing my opinion, I will try to

1. Describe the production and the people involved.

2. Point out where the production adheres to or deviates from expectations.

3. And try to promote alternate directions and choices the production could have gone.

These are notions derived from the writings of Leonard Meyer, who specializes in the philosophy of modern musical critiques. I'll add narrative structural analysis to his method since modern music rarely has a story or even meaning.

And I will add emotional reactions. Without at least some opinion, these reviews would be as dry and boring as reading Meyer's books. And I don't want to subject you to that onerous task!

Occasionally, I will be so elated, angered, or aghast by what I am reviewing, that I'll deviate significantly from these lofty goals. I apologize in advance, and expect to be called on by your comments to keep me in line (or just to add your voice to the chorus and simply disagree/agree).

And if you don't like what I say, then do the ultimate revenge: make your next production so good it melts my heart and brings hot tears across my face!

Looking forward to it!

No comments: